Tuesday 12 October 2010

Jozi/Heidelberg

8 October – 11 October
Friday:
The long drive to Jozi.  We pass through a beautiful, lush mountain pass at Tzaneen, then it’s onto the fast, functional Great North Road.  We arrive in Jo’burg at about 6pm.  Frank (littlest brother) has some homemade beer ready for us.  It’s great for me to meet Danni (his wife) and for them to meet Nick.  They have a gorgeous garden flat complete with cat.  That night we head out for some traditional South African food (curry) and then for a nightcap at an Irish bar.  Finally collapsing onto our sleeping mats. 
Saturday:
We have a slow start to the day getting ourselves sorted then head over to my nephew Aeden’s school where he has a practice cricket match.  I almost don’t recognise Matthew (my little brother), but luckily he recognises me.  Another round of introductions.  When the cricket finishes Matthew and Michelle (his wife) treat us all to lunch.  We got to a café that does massive, gorgeous salads, sandwiches, pizzas and pastas (with an ice cream bar to finish it all off).   Cheesy moment: I’m proud of my little brothers who aren’t so little anymore.  In the afternoon Frank and Danni take us up to a lookout point so we can get an overview of the city, then for a stroll around Emmarentia dam.  The streets are wide and leafy, but all the houses have massive electric fences and armed response.  In the evening we settle into the garden with a bottle of wine (and that was just my drink) while Frank made us pizza.
Janet adds: spent half the day trying to persuade Nick that it really isn’t a good idea to try to touch the electric fences.
Nick adds: Ow!
Sunday:
We still haven’t quite got used to the sunshine that greets us every morning.  Today lovely cousin Gwen has kindly offered to host a family bbq at her house in Heidelberg.  I say kindly offered, I might have just invited everyone round and then let her know!  I was born in Heidelberg, so I guess Nick has now really seen where I’m from.  Gwen, Mick and bump-Lily have a lovely home with the most impressive braai set-up (including pool) I have ever seen.  I did ask if I could move in, but they didn’t seem that impressed. 

We dunk the watermelon in the pool to keep cool by which time Nick is well into a game of footie with Aeden.  An argument about the rules means we’re not sure who won.  Then me Frank and Aeden take on Matthew and Nick.  Our team lost because, as Aeden so succinctly put it: we had a girl on our team (ahem, sorry guys).   Football, swimming, braai, family – what more can I say? 

 Oh, and then there was Ida.  Ida is Gwen and Mick’s springer spaniel and for Nick it was love at first sight.    Nick and I are staying over, so after the rest of the family have gone home, we sit up late into the night chatting.
Janet adds: thanks Gwen & Mick – amazing day.
Monday:
We’re up early-ish for our drive down to St Lucia on the north east coast.  Gwen treats us to breakfast (outside in the lovely sunshine again).  Nick has a long, painful goodbye with Ida and then we’re off.  It’s an easy enough drive through some lovely countryside (one close call with a very almost empty petrol tank, but we won’t mention that).  We arrive in St Lucia at about 6pm and get settled in. 
We haven’t found decent enough internet access yet to keep everything up to date, so this is one of our plans for tomorrow morning while we explore.  For now, a glass of mead (thanks Frank and Danni) and some dinner.
Janet adds: Gem squash and creamed corn with my dinner tonight.  I’m enjoying gorging myself on almost forgotten treats.
Nick adds: disappointed Gwen and Mick wouldn’t swap Janet for Ida.

1 comment:

  1. Miss you guys already!
    Was an "awesome" weekend!! :) Hope the rest of the trip is amazing! x

    ReplyDelete